Bad breath not only negatively affects our self-esteem, but it can also cause social problems and alienate us. Do you have bad breath? If you use medical terminology, then this phenomenon is called halitosis. But bad breath does not only occur due to poor hygiene. Many adults suffer from this problem of bad breath.
The major reason for this is the accumulation of bacteria in the mouth. But the degree of intensity of halitosis can vary. The smell of saliva, for example, is stronger in the morning. In addition, on certain days it may worsen. It is very important in this case to take into account the consistency of saliva.
If salivation is healthy, then this substance will be able to absorb all cellular debris much faster. If the saliva is viscous, then the bacteria have the opportunity to release their rotting compounds and, as a result, cause bad breath.
Causes of Bad Breath
Here are some major reasons for bad breath you should know about:
- Alcohol abuse
- Side effects from medications
- Dental diseases
- Plaque on the tongue
- Tumors in the mouth, nose, or throat
- Insufficient salivation
- Bacterial infections
- Tobacco smoking and alcohol consumption
- chronic diseases
In some cases, the cause of bad breath is unknown, and people have no choice but to deal with the consequences. However, in cases such as alcohol abuse, the problem can be resolved. Bad breath occurs due to dry mouth and accumulation of bacteria due to alcohol abuse. Thus, by abandoning the consumption of alcohol, a person can get rid of this problem.
So just open your browser and search rehab facilities near me to get a list of suitable options. Choose the rehab that suits your need the best. Similarly, you can get rid of other causes of bad breath, such as dental disease, infection, or tumors by getting help from professionals.
How To Deal With Bad Breath?
Is there a solution to the problem? The first thing to do is to go to a specialist so that he makes the correct diagnosis and excludes serious diseases. After all, it is useless to try to cope with superficial methods, when the reason lies in the disruption of the work of any organ. But if the problem is minor, you can always try one of the following remedies. They will help you beat that terrible bad breath!
1. Maintain Oral Hygiene
It is important to note that regular cleaning of the oral cavity is extremely important. You must do it every day; otherwise, a huge amount of bacteria accumulates in the mouth. What do you have to do?
- Brush your teeth, gums, and tongue
- Floss twice a day to remove small food particles stuck in your teeth
- Use a soft brush with a special tongue scraper
- In the mouth, try to clean the surface as deep as possible
- Don’t forget to visit the dentist at least once a year
- Rinse your mouth with baking soda from time to time to disinfect
- Put your toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide (once a week)
2. Watch Your Diet
Yes, there are foods that contribute to bad breath. These are fatty foods, meat, dairy products, sweets, and dishes with a lot of spices. When a person consumes such food in excess, the digestive process gets disturbed. The result is bad breath. So follow the below tips to avoid such a condition:
- Add vegetables and fruits to your diet that are rich in antioxidants
- Avoid consumption of drinks with a lot of acids, such as coffee
- Remember that sugar-containing foods negatively affect the functioning of the throat, so you better avoid them
- Drink infusions that help eliminate bad breath, such as mint, green, or black tea.
3. Increase Your Vitamin Intake
Another cause of bad breath can be a nutritional deficiency in the body. Vitamins and minerals are antioxidants that keep your body tissues in good condition and protect cells. That is, in this way you will provide yourself with a stronger immune system that can cope with any harmful bacteria. So do not hesitate and be sure to include a vitamin complex in your diet to fight toxins.
4. Take Care Of The Health Of Your Digestive System
Poor digestion can lead to the development of diseases and conditions such as gastritis, constipation, or colitis. And bad breath in these cases will be just one of the symptoms. Keep the following in mind:
- You need to increase the intake of fiber, such as adding more fresh fruits and whole-grain products to your diet
- Include apple cider vinegar in your daily diet as it contains hydrochloric acid, which is responsible for the decomposition of food
- Drink lots of water daily according to your body’s need
When your digestive system will be healthy, the problem of bad breath will fade away.
5. Eat Natural Greens
Nature has given us countless plants with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic properties. Thus, they are excellent allies in the fight against bad breath.
- Rosemary, parsley, basil, and thyme help eliminate bad breath
- A mixture of salt and lemon juice disinfects and moisturizes
- Tea with cloves will also be very useful
- Fennel helps maintain healthy teeth and gums
- Chewing an apple and celery thoroughly is also very helpful
- The essential oil of sage also contributes to the disinfection of the oral cavity
Here are some signs that may indicate a serious health problem so watch out for them:
- Bitterness (bitter taste) in the mouth indicates an excess of bilirubin and there is probably some kind of anomaly in the liver
- A metallic taste is due to the accumulation of uric acid and is a sign of kidney problems
- A putrid smell appears when there is an infection
- Sweet breath indicates an increase in glucose levels, which is most common in people suffering from diabetes.
Be attentive to your health, watch your breath as it must be fresh.