‘What if it’s a little exposure to the sun without sunscreen? A little sun on the skin won’t hurt.’ When it comes to skincare, these thoughts are common, especially among men. However, instead of falling prey to such thoughts, applying a little sunscreen before stepping outdoors won’t hurt. After all, using a well-formulated sunscreen for men is much easier than following a daily skincare routine.
Although it feels amazing to fall lazy on a skincare routine, the decision is soon regretted on having a close look at the skin at night. Your skin feels tired and dull, scorched by dust, pollution and exposure to sunlight. One can easily avoid this by protecting yourself against the harsh UV rays of the sun by using the right sunscreen for men.
Indulging in simple healthy skincare habits is much easy than sitting and regret over irregular skin pigmentation, sunburns, and tans. Hence, sunscreens for males are designed to overcome the hassle of daily skincare routines yet offer a healthy skincare option.
How to Select the Right Sunscreen for Men?
As various formulations are available, including gel, cream, and spray-based sunscreens, getting exactly what is right for your male skin becomes overwhelming. Hence, while going for selecting the best sunscreen, it is important to consider a few factors as follows, before picking the right one:
● Spectrum of the Sunscreen
Going for a sunscreen with a broad spectrum is always advisable. Look for information on the packaging of the product. Although sunscreens are designed to protect the skin from UV rays, go for a sunscreen that protects you against both- UVA and UVB rays.
UVA rays are usually responsible for premature ageing, but UVB rays can cause serious skin burns and, in some cases, skin cancer. Hence always look for terms such as ‘broad spectrum’ or ‘protection from UVA and UVB rays’ on the product’s packaging.
● Sunscreen SPF
Another important factor men must consider while selecting the appropriate sunscreen is the SPF- sun protection factor. It denotes how much protection the sunscreen can provide you against UV rays.
For instance, sunscreens with SPF 15 protect against 93% UV rays. While SPF 30, 50, and 100 offer 97%, 98%, and 99% protection from UV rays. Hence, the higher the SPF, the better the protection against UV rays. Keeping your exposure to the sun in mind, select a sunscreen with an apt SPF.
● Sunscreen Formulations
Today, sunscreen for men is available in several formulations. Some are water-resistant, some are sweat and rub resistant, while others are lotion-based instead of cream. So, if you are going for a swim or a walk in the sun, go for waterproof or sweat-resistant sunscreen so that it doesn’t get washed away.
Also, if you want to avoid the stickiness of sunscreen creams, you can go for lotions. They get easily absorbed into the skin, keeping it moist yet matte. Also, you can use spray-based sunscreens to avoid the hassle of using your hands for sunscreen applications.
● Skin Type
Skin type is a major factor to consider when selecting a sunscreen. Everybody has a different skin type. Hence, sunscreens suitable for the skin type will enhance skin protection against UV rays, keeping it plump and healthy. So, whether you have an oily, dry, sensitive, or a combination skin type, do not panic. Every skin type has its sunscreen that matches in utility.
For instance, use water-based, powder, or mist-based sunscreen formulations if you have an oily or combination skin type. In contrast, if you have a dry or a normal skin type, you can go for oil-based formulations of sunscreens. They are available in gels, creams, and stick-based formulations.
● Check Out for Harmful Ingredients
Sunscreen comprises various ingredients, including sulfates, minerals, and other materials. Any of these ingredients can cause a chemical allergic reaction to your skin. Hence, organic or herbal sunscreen is suggested when selecting the best sunscreen for men. When herbal products are unavailable, check for the sulphate and paraben content on the product’s packaging to avoid allergic reactions.
How to Apply the Sunscreen for Men Correctly for Effective Results?
Now that you know how to get the best sunscreen for yourself, it is important to know how to apply it correctly for effectiveness. You can follow the instructions below and apply the sunscreen for better results and UV protection:
- Step 1: Wash your face with a gentle cleanser or a face wash and pat it dry softly.
- Step 2: Apply a toner, a serum, or a moisturiser if you usually do it as a skincare practice.
- Step 3: Apply enough sunscreen on body parts exposed to the sun. Ensure you gently scrub the sunscreen on your face and neck, as they have a high chance of getting sunburnt. Also, apply the sunscreen by scrubbing in a circular motion, as it helps deeply blend with the skin.
- Step 4: Apply sunscreen every two to three hours to protect your skin from the harsh UV rays and their effects. Be careful when applying around the eyes.
When Should One Apply the Sunscreen?
Although sunscreens have ingredients to protect your skin, their effectiveness depends on application timing.
- One should apply the sunscreen at least 30-45 minutes before moving outdoors or being exposed to sunlight. Due to this, the sunscreen will have enough time to be absorbed by the skin, and there are fewer chances of it getting washed away due to mere perspiration.
- Remember, the sunscreen may get washed away with sweat if not completely absorbed. Hence, it is suggested to apply sunscreen every few hours if you are exposed to sunlight for a maximum of the day.
- Try using a sunscreen with high SPF considering the skin type so that you need not reapply the sunscreen frequently and your skin remains protected for the maximum amount of time.
- Wearing appropriate sunscreen on a rainy or cloudy day is essential, as UV rays can still pass through the clouds. If at high altitudes, snow also reflects harmful UV rays, increasing its exposure. Hence, wearing sunscreen at higher altitudes is also recommended.
Thus, be it slowing the ageing process, skin protection, or avoiding wrinkles and tans, buy sunscreen for men can work wonders. Be it an outdoor job or an athletic activity, always protect your skin by wearing suitable sunscreen to avoid skin-related problems.
Sunscreens are the much-required protection layer for your skin that help keep your skin in good health. Hence, consider the right factors before you narrow down on a specific sunscreen and get the best that suits your needs.